Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Letters to and from our Missionary 11/11/1914

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Tim wrote:

Dear Elder,

How was your week? Just as crazy as ever? Do you get a chance to go out teach much? One thing that I have been curious about, but have always forgotten to ask you is, how is your knee? Have you had any problems with it since you've been out

How is your companion doing? What adventures are you having?

We are all doing well up here! I have an appointment with a surgeon this week. I don't know if you remember when I had my belly-button hernia repaired back in Sidney? I think I am going to need it repaired again. Also, I will be teaching a "Fundamentals of Print Design" class for Bellevue University. It's an online course that starts November 24th! Because it's online that means I can set my own hours and do the work at night a couple times a week. I'm excited and a wee bit nervous too! Also, Midland University called and said that they have a class for me as well. That one probably won't start until after the first of the year. I'm really excited about that one because it's one that I will actually have to go into a classroom and teach.

We're all excited for Stake Conference next week. We're getting a new Stake President. I think I told you that. Your mom and Nathan are singing in the choir. They are having fun doing that. Speaking of music!!! Are you still playing the piano??? I always loved to hear you play the piano. Reason #738 why I can't wait for you to get home. :) Don't worry about what's going to happen as far as school goes. We'll research everything we can so that you have a lot of options to consider. Focus on saving just one more soul each month while you're there.

Anyway, I love you so much tiger! Please be safe and always heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

¡Ámele hijo!

Papá

Hey Dad! Yeah this week was pretty crazy. haha Wednesday, we had our monthly leadership meeting with all the zone leaders, the assistants, and President Archibald. I love those meetings. It is so awesome but they are physically draining. Haha Then this Saturday and Sunday, we had stake conference here in Ventanilla. It was awesome. President and Sister Archibald came, the temple president of Lima, and a member of the 70, Elder Costa. Wow. It was great.

Yeah my companion and I still teach, not as much but we still do. Yesterday we found a family of 4 that we are sure we are going to baptize so we are super excited about that. Familia _________. Keep them in your prayers please! =) My knees are just like they´ve been my whole life. I don’t pay attention to them. That stinks that you have to have surgery. I hope everything goes ok. That is awesome that you will be teaching those classes! Do you have any idea what exactly you are going to teach or not yet? Hey you can finish the basement with all that extra cash you will be making so that when I get home, we can have march madness parties in the man cave!!!:...haha just a thought =p Do you know if an apostle will go to stake conference to call the new stake president? That would be sweet.

I play piano every once in awhile. haha 738 reasons huh? I am excited too. It is helping me to work harder though because I know it’s my only chance to make a difference. I hit 19 months today!!!! Yikes. Haha Love you dad!

Elder Hackleman

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Amy wrote:

Elder J. Hackleman,

How is my oldest doing today? We are doing good. I have been working doing Insurance audits all week and will be doing them again for a few more days so this past week was a little crazy, but things will get back to normal by Wed. or so.

The weather is supposed to really cool down this week. I guess I am not quite ready for winter yet, but it's coming whether I like it or not. There is a phrase from the movie, "Frozen" that goes, "The cold never bothered me anyway." I made a poster with those words, then at the end, I said, "Just kidding, I hate the cold" ha ha.

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway
Just Kidding
I Hate Winter

Tim Law just got back from China. We are going out to dinner with them on Friday so he can tell us all the crazy stories that happened to him while he was gone. I guess he has quite a few.

So we had ________ over for dinner today. They taught a lesson last week but Grant was gone to a meeting so he wasn't here. They asked Nathan if he would teach the same lesson this week only teach it to Grant so he could see if he learned from what they taught last week. This all sounds well and good, but while it was all going down, there was one thing I kept thinking about that I knew I wanted to write to you about when it comes to missionary work. This is something that has bothered me over the years about a lot of the people and sometimes even among the missionaries. I hope you can learn from it, as far as what not to do. Maybe even help other missionaries you are around to help them learn as well.

A lot of the time people will be joking around and having fun with the boys, and it gets a little bit out of hand. They can be rather rude and eventually take it too far. The theme tonight seemed to be, make fun of Grant night and make him feel dumb for not saying the right things, or in the right way. I finally put my foot down and stepped in. I think it is never appropriate to say comments about someone that are derogatory, even if you think you are doing it in fun. It was not fun for me to hear it and it certainly was not fun for Grant. He tried to laugh along and go along like it didn't bother him, but believe me, it did.

I think it is going to be a while before we have them over again. They are fun people, who just say enough rude things to rub me the wrong way.

I know you are never one to say rude things, but sometimes I think other missionaries need to be called out on it, or at least have the discussion brought up to them. Just a thought.

I sure love you! I would love some more pictures of your area. I know I am a broken record. I just don't have a visual of what your area is like. Besides you are so darn handsome, I love to see you as much as I can:)

Love mom

Hey mom!!!!

That is a bummer about your visitors. I think sometimes some people let their egos go to their heads, even if we don’t want it to or don’t even realize it. I have always tried to be conscious of how I treat people but I definitely see problems with it here as well with some of the missionaries. Grant is a tough kid though so that’s good. =)

I hit 19 months today! I can’t even believe it. My comp and I are teaching a fantastic family of four. We found them just yesterday but it was easily one of the most powerful first lessons I have been in. Keep them in your prayers please. Familia _______________.

I will take some pictures today.

Love,

Elder Hackleman

No comments:

Post a Comment