Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17th Letters to and from Elder Hackleman and his mom

Hello, I sure hope you are having a great week. I thought I would send you some pictures of Grant's birthday this week. We had a great time building up an entire fortress in the back yard. We got bandannas so the teams could tell each other apart. It turned out to be a rather rainy day and windy but I was very glad about that. The day before was sunny and there were so many people out and about walking up and down the sidewalk next to our house I was beginning to worry the air soft war in our backyard might not work. I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't appreciate getting shot while going out for an evening stroll. Luckily no one was out but Grant and his crazy crew. It really was a perfect activity for 12 13 year old boys. They had a ball. Seth and his buddy Collin organized the teams and the games and kept the night under control. They even had whistles. I heard some of the kids talking in the other room right before they left and they said it was the most fun they had ever had at a birthday party.

Grant's Birthday Air Soft War


12 boys in all came to the party


I made 12 pizzas.  Some of them were desert pizzas


It was raining and cold, but that is perfect weather for Air Soft Games


Grant preparing the bases for the Air Soft Game


We got pallets for free from a building supply store.

We found old siding in a junk pile and added cardboard to the smaller sections.  

It ended up being an entire yard full of forts.


Grant got biodegradable air soft pellets 

 

So one of Grant's friends got in a fight at school last Friday. Grant came out of the school and saw him getting beat up and he jumped right in and pulled the kid off. Right after that a teacher came running out and took both of the boys who were fighting into the principals office. The kid that got beat up is one of the kids in the picture. Anyway, I was so proud of Grant. He certainly sent a message that he can be aggressive if he needs to be. He also set a good example of not just watching, but taking action.

Seth, Nathan and Grant have been out of school all week on spring break and they are even out tomorrow. We have had a great time, but it went by too fast. We were preparing for Grant's birthday party, throwing the birthday party, having Nathan's party and running errands for Seth to get him ready for his mission and the week just flew by. Seth had his doctors appointment on Thursday as well as camping out at the DMV to get his 18 year old drivers license. You know how long it takes to do that. He has to go back in on Monday for the Tuberculosis test that goes in the arm and gets checked 48 hours later. Sound familiar? He has his dentist appointment on Thursday and we will find out about his wisdom teeth. He also didn't pass the eye exam so we will get him into the eye doctor to get a new prescription this week as well. Depending on what we find out about the wisdom teeth will determine when he can turn in his mission papers this week. It all feels very familiar.

I had a great stake Relief Society training meeting yesterday. It really was nice to be inspired and instructed. We were taught by President Schoof from the stake presidency about the importance of the Proclamation to the Family. I really do love learning from such inspired instruction.

We had a wonderful baptism yesterday. A sister in the ward who's husband is a member but she has been taking the lessons off and on for 5 years. I was overwhelmed with the feeling I needed to share your dad's conversion story, so I did. It was very spiritual. Her husband did the baptism and also gave a talk. I was so impressed with his testimony. For sure it was one of those days filled with the spirit.

The kid named xxxx, that Seth and Nathan have been teaching with the missionaries got dropped because he just wasn't keeping commitments and wasn't progressing. The missionaries told us today that he actually texted them and said he would like to come to church again. This really is the first time he has asked to come to church. Usually we always ask him. Maybe he will come around again. We can only pray that it will. Unfortunately he ended up sleeping in today so he didn't come, but the fact that he had the desire to come was a good sign.

I sure love you. I can't wait until tomorrow. Monday is my favorite day of the week because I get to hear from you!

Love you!
mom

Dear Mom,

We had a baptism this week as well. Her name is Pilar. Her boyfriend is a member but less active she has been dragging him to church even though he has no huge interest in going and her entire family is against her being a member. She doesn´t care though because her testimony is so strong.

Baptism This Week.  I got a new companion named Elder Robles.

He is from Mexico but lived in Tucson, Arizona for a while so he actually speaks English.  He is awesome and a great soccer player so our game today is going to be sweet! 



The other picture is just a mountain that I see every day named Huazcaran. Its right outside my window. Pretty huh! I have a new companion too. His name is Elder Robles. He is from mexico. He reminds me alot of Roberto Guzman. Haha He is super awesome though. And hes big! He is my height. Haha I never thought I would have a companion my height! He lived in Tuscan Arizona though so he speaks perfect english. Its funny cuz we will have a conversation and I will speak english and he will respond in spanish or vice versa and we both understand but usually respond in the other language just to shake things up. It´s pretty fun. Haha I sure love you!!!!!

Elder Hackleman

A mountain that I see every day named Huazcaran. Its right outside my window. Pretty huh!

Elder Hackleman

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Tim wrote:

Dear Elder,

Today is Seth's 18th birthday. I wish you guys would stop growing up so fast!!! I've been missing you a lot this past week. I've been having foot problems and wish I had your priesthood here to give me a blessing. Your mom swears it's gout. I swear it's not because it's on my heel. Same old argument :) Anyway, I was able to get some UNO hockey tickets for last Friday's game. So Seth and I took Tim and Austin for Austin's birthday. We had a great time!! I forgot my phone in the car, so I didn't get any pictures. :(

How did your week go?? Are you still teaching the deaf couple? That is so awesome!! I am so excited for them and what an opportunity for you. I see that it's been raining there a lot. Be careful and stay healthy!!! So when it's not raining, do you still get out to play some soccer (futbol)?

OH YEAH! How is your new companion??? Tell us all about him!

I'm sorry you don't have any extra cash right now. I will get you some next payday. Sorry. The Sidney house is still on track for June sometime. They will either have to close on it then or forfeit it back to us. The only problem with it coming back to us is that it will have to be put on the market again. I'm sure it will sell fast, but it still takes a couple of months to close and that would mean double house payments for us. OUCH!! So add the Sidney house to your prayers! :)

¡Ámele hijo!

Papá

Hey dad! I hope your foot is doing ok. It sure seems like you two will never change over this gout thing. Haha I bet those UNO Hockey games are fun. I wish we would have thought of that before! I am still teaching the deaf couple and their son. They are so wonderful. They had a baptismal date for this Saturday but it had to get pushed back until next Saturday because they couldn´t come to church yesterday. We play in rain. It don´t bother us nun´ =) We are playing futbol Americano today! WOOO! Haha I am stoked. My companion is awesome. His name is Elder Robles. Hes from mexico but lived in arizona for 8 years so he knows english! That's too bad about the sidney house. I will definitely keep it in my prayers. And don´t you worry about me. I am doing just fine. For clanks sake, I almost have a year in this country!!!! I know what I am doing and definitely get plenty of help. You guys just worry about the rest of you =) I sure love you dad. If there is one thing a mission does for us missionaries, It helps us realize how much we love and appreciate our parents.

I love you!
Love Elder Hackleman

No comments:

Post a Comment