Monday, February 16, 2015

My Companion and I Right Now

My companion Elder Rivera and I....right now. Haha

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Amy wrote:

Dear Elder,

Ok, so now you can tell me, what is your new companion like? Where is he from etc?

We had a good week. Nathan had his first show choir competition on Saturday. He did a great job. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of him. I was videoing the entire production but didn't take a picture. Don't worry, I will get one next week. He performs again on Saturday. He wore a blue tux with a green tie and the girls wore green dresses.

They sounded and looked awesome.

Church yesterday was great. We were sitting on the front row during sacrament meeting and I had my head bowed. I saw out of the corner of my eyes the deacons walking past and I noticed one of them was wearing pants that were way too short. I thought, boy who is that, so I looked up and to my utter amazement it was Grant. It appeared he had grown a couple of inches in a week, either that or he has been wearing high waters for a while and I just haven't noticed. I guess we are going shopping this week for some new church pants for the poor guy.

Grant played great during the church basketball game. He actually played center for a while. He has never played that position before so he didn't really know where to stand but he is one of the tallest players on the team when Nathan isn't there. It worked out perfectly, because Nathan performed first thing in the morning so I was able to hurry over to the church after Nathan's performance and still catch most of Grant's basketball game. Anyway I was looking at Grant out on the court and thought to myself, he seems taller than last week, but then I shrugged it off almost as fast as I thought it. Obviously I should have considered it further. I hate to say it, but he might be taller than Seth already.

Well, we are getting ready to head out for Nathan to get his wisdom teeth removed. His appointment is at 11:00. It's nice because the boys don't have school today because it is President's Day so Grant gets to go with me.

The big thing happening this week is I am the lead teacher at Pathways. I never usually get nervous teaching, but I have been having anxiety about being the lead student since it is math and it's not my favorite subject. Luckily we are discussing spreadsheets and I am not too bad at that. We'll see how it goes. One good thing is I have learned a formula for calculating Celsius into Fahrenheit so I can figure out the temperature for you if you ever need me to. I am supposed to be able to transform pesos into dollars as well, but I'm not as good at that. Sorry. If you ever wanted to know the formula for temperature conversion is: C=5/9(F-32). 

Temperature Conversion Formula

I sure love you. Have a wonderful week!

Love, Mom

Mom, I love you so much. I hate to be a jerk, but I have known that formula since I was but a wee one.....=) I am so proud of you though. Next time I need the temperature converted I will definitely consult you before taking the time to do it myself. I can’t believe grant is so tall. He hasn't past me has he?

My companion is awesome! He is one of my favorite companions. His name is Elder Rivera. He is from Guayaquil Ecuador. We were best friends from the get go. We teach and contact so well together. I would love to have 2 or more transfers with him instead of just one. =( Mom. My mission is going by so fast! They are buying my plane ticket already. AHHH!!! I can’t wait to see you guys though. I love you!

Elder Hackleman

I got a few pictures of Nathan before and after his wisdom teeth surgery. Crazy kid wanted to show me he wasn't in pain so he ran around the car the second after the nurse put him in the car after his surgery. I was so mad at him. The bleeding had clotted and stopped before we left the Dr. office but due to his run around the town, it started bleeding profusely. Dang it all. He thought he was so funny. Ya, he won't be laughing when he gets dry sockets. I thought of letting the pain meds wear completely off to teach him a lesson, but then after thinking about it for a while I realized he was still under the influence of the meds so I need to give him a break. He claims he counted down to 94 before he fell asleep. I forgot to ask the nurse so I can't confirm that number. I will double check on our follow-up appointment.

Love Mom

He was goofy before they even gave him any Meds.




Ice Packs!

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Tim wrote:

Dear Elder,

How were transfers?!?!?!? Tell us all about your new companion! You have the opportunity to show him what going out in style really means!! I know you have a lot of Zone work to do, but were you able to teach anyone this week? Something that came to me at church yesterday. I was sitting in PEC and we were talking about home teaching and the struggles that we have doing it and reporting it. Then we started talking about the people who request no contact with the Church. How do we deal with them? The church strongly discourages and dissuades names being removed from the records. My thoughts turned to the parable of the lost sheep of course. But then it occurred to me that, much of what we need to learn is the "process of seeking." So much of the time we go to an address and find that they've moved. So we diligently try ways that seek them out to have their records follow them? Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that sometimes it's not just the act of doing, but learning from the act of doing.

On the home front, Nathan is getting his wisdom teeth out for real today. We'll let you know how that went next week. I attached a couple pictures of your silly brother. One is while he was at the kitchen table over the weekend. He was working on one of his many "experiments". The other is of him at the UNO hockey game with me on Friday. And by the way... I gave him a haircut on Saturday after I saw these.

I can't wait to hear all about your week!!

¡Te amo tanto!

Papá

Grant at the UNO Hockey Game


Hey dad! I got my new companion this week. His name is Elder Rivera. He is from Ecuador and is one of my favorite companions of my entire mission. From the second we were put together we just clicked. He is so awesome. We love to work hard but have fun doing it. We have been in meetings almost all week but we are going hard this week because the people we find this week will potentially be my last baptisms. =( I will send a pic of him in a sec....p.s. I am living in a peruvian oven right now but I still love life. How can that be......Haha Love you dad!

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Tim wrote:

It's only 80 degrees there!! :) Plus, there's no way it's worse than two-a-days in Buenavista, VA!!

Dad

That thermometer is lying. It’s gotta be 110. Haha and air conditioning doesn't exist here. I have two of my buddies writing me from SVU right now saying they walked on at Weber state. One of them is in Jake Kitchen`s Spanish class! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment